I’ve been busy making fabric bins. Due to the nature of our shelving (ex-school cupboards) standard size storage containers don’t fit.
The measurement calculations recommended were nearly perfect, although I had to still adjust my height. Making a paper template first is very helpful (architects’ ‘cast offs’ are perfect) I’m a bit of a ‘cheater’, I cut the outer and the lining together, saving time.
After following the sizing directions suggested above I sewed the right sides together of both the outer and inner bins. These bins used lots of material, I have a big space to fill! Fortunately I’ve had stored fabric put aside and unwanted sheets. I’m also scoring the op shops(thrift) for doona covers and sheets.
Initially I hadn’t intended to use cardboard in between the ‘bags’, but I discovered I needed to for durability. Suggestion is to glue the cardboard and fabric together, but I decided not to. Not keen on cardboard a friend suggested I source local real estate agents for old signage, I was successful!:) (cardboard in pic is template)
Once the ‘bags’ was sewn, I placed the ‘cardboard’ in flat before adding the lining ‘bag’.
Iron down your lining edges before trying to pin, I originally didn’t. Sewing is quite a tricky maneuver but I managed.
Afterwards I then ‘pop up’ the ‘cardboard between the two ‘bags’.
I’ve made three so far:) My plan is to make enough for all the toys.
Linking up with Jennifer’s 7 posts in 7 days challenge this week.