When implementing this Literature Based Unit, we suggest reading at least a couple of the books recommended below. Activities are optional, feel free to choose whichever activities best suit your family.
We have endeavoured to select books that are likely to be accessible via your local libraries and don’t forget inter-library loans, we don’t want you to go into debt. We are not recommending you read all of these books.
We estimate it will take 3-5 weeks to read through this LBU and enjoy the activities of your choice relevant to your child’s age.
We have suggested books for all age groups, we recommend that your child reads at least one chapter book or a couple of picture books dependent on age.
Create your own personalised list by opening your book choice and simply clicking the wishlist button to add to your list.
|Wishlist||Image||Name||Writers||Illustrators||Series||Tags||Curriculums||Target Age||Print Status||hf:tax:writer||hf:tax:illustrator||hf:tax:series||hf:tags||hf:tax:curriculum||hf:tax:target_age||hf:tax:print_status|
Themes to Cover
- Nautical Terms; Longitude, Tides, Telescope.
- Historical Names; Captain Cook, Endeavour.
- Geography; Australian coastline.
- Cultural Awareness; First Nations.
- Cook’s Cook – Gavin Bishop
- Read NZ : Teacher’s Notes
- Meet…Captain Cook – Rae Murdie
- Penguin: Teacher’s Notes
‘Chart’ Cook’s three voyages in the Pacific. Use a different colour to represent each journey.
- Mega Maps
- Kids Britannica – Cook’s Three Voyages
- Our Worldwide Classroom – Mapping Cook’s expedition to Australia.
Select a youtube on Captain Cook and watch
STEM Research & Activities
- Look at longitude and tides what impact did this have on Cook’s journey
The Endeavour had scientists aboard including botanist Joseph Banks.
- Who was Joseph Banks?
- What was Captain Cook’s instructions regards the planetVenus?
Numerous plants were collected and animal observations were recorded throughout the Endeavour’s journey to Australia.
- Research and write about the ‘new discoveries.’
Language Arts Activities
Write a journal as if you were a cabin boy on cook’s voyage, either the journey, along Australian coastline
Design a timeline of Cook’s life
Further Research Areas & Discussion Questions
Today there is much discussion about the colonisation by Europeans in a land that was already occupied by our first Nations and yet was decalred Terra Nautlis.
- Read, reflect and, discuss your thoughts about this (older children)
Colour picture of Captain Cook (younger children)
Captain Cook used a Telescope
*Each unit is unique, this unit gives you a sample of what’s on offer
Launch Membership Offer!
As a gift to our readers we are opening our launch with an offer to the first 30 members to join.
Membership for only $60 for a Year!!
Yearly Membership normally $100/year